Air Source Heat Pumps
Breathing life into your home
Air source heat pumps (ASHPs) gather heat from the air outside and process it for space heating as warm air (air to air systems) or to heat wet heating systems or domestic hot water (air to water system).
How do air source heat pumps work?
ASHP’s work in a similar manner to refrigerators. Whereas these remove heat held within food and drink and expel it through the elements at the rear of the unit, ASHP’s remove latent heat from the air for space heating or heating DHW.
ASHP’s use heat from the air to heat refrigerant within a sealed copper circuit. The heat pump compresses this warmed refrigerant to increase the temperature to a level suitable for space and DHW heating. Once all the heat is extracted the refrigerant flows back into the heat exchanger to and is heated once more.
Heat pumps produce hot water which is of a lower temperature than boiler systems; therefore an under-floor heating system is the most suitable for use with a heat pump.
Advantages of ASHPs:
• Unlike many other renewable energy systems, ASHP’s are “plug and play”, meaning that they can be connected straight to you heating system and used straight out of the box. ASHP’s do not require the same level of installation as solar systems of ground source heat pumps
• While ASHP’s require electricity to operate, they produce 3 – 4 times the amount of thermal energy than is required to run them, making them 300% – 400% efficient
• The carbon emissions involved are low, and can be negated by using green electricity to power the pump
• Government grants are available to homeowners to help cover costs
• You will need space on an outside wall to fit the heat pump’s evaporator coil
• As the heat produced is lower than comparable boiler fed systems, a good quality level of insulation is required to maximise heat and efficiency
• If you wish to be totally green, then the pump can be powered by renewable electricity
• The cost of a domestic ASHP system for a well insulated detached property can cost in the range of £6,000 to £9,000 (excluding VAT). This can be offset by energy savings of between £50.00 and £700.00 per year and a CO2 saving of up to 5 tonnes (depending on the fuel being replaced)
Air source heat pumps are among the most accessible and practical renewable heating solutions on the market today, and James Hargreaves supply a wide range of MCS certified ASHP’s from the leading manufacturers in the industry.
You can find out more about the benefits of ASHP’s by following the links below and downloading product information, or contacting your local James Hargreaves branch and arranging a meeting with one of our Renewable Energy consultants.
James Hargreaves: making renewable energy easy.
Copyright © James Hargreaves (Plumbers Merchants) Ltd. 2009 - 2019. All rights reserved. James Hargreaves Plumbing Depot is part of the James Hargreaves group of companies. Registered in England No. 188491 James Hargreaves Burnley, Todmorden Road, Burnley, Lancashire, BB11 3JT Tel +44 (0) 1282 722000 | Fax +44 (0) 1282 830022